Internal Medicine vs General Medicine Q&A
If you are looking for compassionate & knowledgeable care then look no further and come to Rachman Medical Group today. Our experienced medical professionals are here to help you. For more information, call us or schedule an appointment online. We Are Conveniently Located at 7601 Canby Ave Suite 7 Reseda CA 91335.
Table of Contents:
What is general medicine?
What is internal medicine?
What falls under internal medicine?
What is the difference between general medicine and internal medicine?
Why should I see an internal medicine practitioner?
Internal medicine is a broad medical field that encompasses the vast majority of medical conditions that affect adults. Doctors who practice internal medicine are known as internists and are one of the main primary care physicians that deliver healthcare services to patients on a first-line basis. These medical professionals are trained to treat a wide range of medical conditions, and their expertise and knowledge for each condition are in-depth and robust. Although they are able to treat the majority of conditions that affect adults, much like primary care physicians, they may refer patients to a specialist for advanced and complex conditions that require special care
General medicine also referred to as general internal medicine, refers to the field of medical practice that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of various diseases and conditions that affect the internal organs. Some examples of the internal diseases and conditions treated by general medicine doctors include chronic lung disease, diabetes (type 1 and type 2), heart disease, hypertension, obesity, and many others. Typically, general medicine doctors, or internists, only see and treat illnesses that afflict adults.
Internal medicine doctors have a wealth of knowledge and can provide treatment for the majority of diseases and conditions that affect adults, including:
• Allergies, sinusitis, and pharyngitis
• Arthritis and other musculoskeletal disorders and injuries
• Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), ulcers, and infectious diarrhea
• Cardiological conditions, including:
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Coronary artery disease
• Congestive heart failure
• Lung disorders, including:
• Chronic bronchitis
• Men’s health concerns, including:
• Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
• Erectile dysfunction
• Primary care for adults with developmental disabilities
• Progressive Evaluation and Referral Center (PERC)
• Skin disorders
• Urinary tract infections, urinary incontinence, and kidney stones
• Women’s health concerns, including:
Internal medicine is a far-reaching field of medicine that includes:
• Allergy and immunology
• Cardiology (heart diseases)
• Endocrinology (hormone disorders)
• Hematology (blood disorders)
• Infectious diseases
• Gastroenterology (diseases of the gut)
• Nephrology (kidney diseases)
• Oncology (cancer)
• Pulmonology (lung disorders)
• Rheumatology (arthritis and musculoskeletal disorders).
Internists focus on treating adults from 18 years of age through the geriatric years. They have comprehensive training in all aspects of adult medical care, from screenings and physicals to the long-term management of chronic conditions. As well as treating patients with a complex combination of conditions, internists specialize in the treatment of common adult problems, such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
Family medicine doctors focus on providing care for people of all ages, from birth through the geriatric years. Family medicine doctors have formal training in several fields of medicine, including pediatrics, adult medicine, mental health, obstetrics, and gynecology. With a focus on wellness, disease prevention, and chronic disease management, this broad training equips them to deal with a wide range of health problems for the entire family.
Because they can easily coordinate with other doctors if more complex care is needed, people with chronic diseases such as high blood pressure or diabetes often choose an internist as a primary care provider. However, people who are in good health also choose internists because they want a physician who can help them as their health needs change over the years.
You may choose an internist as your primary care doctor for the following reasons:
• You want a doctor that can provide you with all of your healthcare needs, from preventive care to serious illness
• You are an adult seeking the health screenings, routine physicals, and medical tests required to help you stay healthy
• You are an adult who is currently managing a chronic disease, such as diabetes, hypertension, or high cholesterol.
If you are looking for an experienced and qualified doctor, come to Rachman Medical Group for a higher level of care. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating all aspects of adult health and can help you maintain a good quality of life. Give us a call today for more information. We serve patients in Reseda CA, San Fernando CA, Twin Lakes CA, Hidden Hills CA and Burbank CA.