Internist vs Primary Care Physician Q&A
For quality primary care services provided by a trusted internist, come to Rachman Medical Group. Call us today to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 7601 Canby Ave, Suite 7, Reseda, CA 91335.
Table of Contents:
Internists are doctors who specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases that affect the internal organs, including the heart, lungs, stomach, intestines, kidneys and liver. They are also referred to as doctors of internal medicine, or internal medicine doctors, and are one of the most highly respected types of physicians. A primary care physician, often abbreviated as PCP, is a doctor who provides general medical care for the most common ailments, from acute injuries to mild illnesses.
Internists provide care for a broad range of medical concerns; there are many reasons to visit an internist. The most common include:
• High Blood Pressure — High blood pressure, or hypertension, is sometimes called a silent disease because it usually does not display any obvious symptoms until its later progression. When left untreated, it can be very dangerous; the havoc it can wreak on the body includes cardiovascular and organ damage, so it is important for it to be diagnosed and properly treated on a regular basis.
• High Cholesterol — High cholesterol occurs when there is too much cholesterol in the blood, such as fats and lipids. High cholesterol is often asymptomatic, like high blood pressure, so it typically is diagnosed during a routine screening.
• Diabetes — Another complex chronic condition, diabetes can affect the body in a number of different ways. Similar to the other conditions mentioned here, diabetes often exhibits no symptoms until the later stages of development. Diabetes affects the way the body regulates blood glucose, either not producing enough insulin or not being able to properly use insulin. Untreated diabetes can cause several health problems, including slow-healing wounds, diabetic neuropathy, eye disease, gum disease, skin conditions and bladder problems.
Internal medicine doctors provide a long list of benefits for their patients, including the following:
• Minimize the risk of medical conditions arising associated with family history
• Can save money in the long run
• Internists provide top-level, comprehensive care
• Internists take the extra steps to diagnose the underlying problems in order to achieve the most propitious long-term outcomes
Primary care physicians can diagnose, treat and prevent the most common concerns faced by people every day, including:
Respiratory concerns, such as:
• Acute infections
• Circulatory problems, primarily:
• Hypertension (high blood pressure)
Endocrine issues, including:
• Metabolic diseases
• Immunity disorders
Musculoskeletal conditions, such as:
• Joint disorders
Nervous system and sensory organ problems, including:
• Ear infections
• Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
Genitourinary issues, such as:
• Urinary tract (or bladder) infections
• Menstruation disorders
• Menopausal issues
Mental disorders, including:
• Attention deficit disorder
Injuries, such as:
• Contusions or bruises
• Open wounds
Skin and subcutaneous tissue problems, including:
Infections and parasitic diseases, such as:
• Viral infections
• Strep throat
Primary care physicians and internists are both general doctors, meaning that they provide care and treatment for a broad range of conditions, injuries and illnesses. However, they have a few key differences; the biggest distinction between the two is their demographic of care. Internists are specially trained to treat adults, from the age of 18 through the late geriatric years, whereas primary care physicians generally provide care to patients of all ages, including infants, children, adolescents, adults and seniors. In many cases, internists are considered primary care physicians as they provide primary care services to their patients, including preventative, acute injury and chronic disease care.
For quality primary care services provided by a trusted internist, come to Rachman Medical Group. Call us today to book an appointment with our internist, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 7601 Canby Ave, Suite 7, Reseda, CA 91335. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients in Reseda CA, San Fernando CA, Twin Lakes CA, Hidden Hills CA, and Burbank CA.